The predive buddy checklist should be performed by each buddy for the other and can be remembered by thinking of the acronym BeWARE. Here are the steps represented by each letter:
- Be- BCD / Buoyancy Compensator Device. Is it adjusted properly and tank securely fastened? Are the hoses all connected and buckles secured? Where are the dump valeves and releases and are they working properly? Are the inflate and deflate buttons working? What about any signaling devices?
- W- Weight. Make sure the weight is correct and properly distributed. Check the weight belt, and / or integrated weights to be sure that they are firmly secured, and that you know how to release them in case of an emergency.
- A- Air. Both you and your buddy should take a few breaths from your regulators while observing for movement of the pressure gauge needle. There should not be any!! Also, check to be sure your buddy's air tank is turned on completely. Check for any leaks.
- R- Releases. Check all the releases and make sure they are secure. Check the shoulder straps, cummerbunds, sternum straps and the tank release.
- E- Everything okay? This is a final once over from head to toe. Step back and take a look at your buddy. Are all the hoses and straps secure including the tank? Is the BC strapped correctly with no twisted straps? Weights in place and secure? Wetsuits or drysuits completely zipped? Computer consoles, cameras, dive lights all working properly?